Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My First Week in Uganda

It's hard to believe that tomorrow will mark my first week in Uganda. It has been a great week; the Lord has been so faithful. This is the rainy season here and I experienced a part of that as we drove from the airport to the Hurley's home last Wednesday. Usually what happens in the rainy season is that at some part of the day, a thunderstorm will develop and sometimes last for hours, at other times a few minutes. It has been relatively dry here for the rainy season this year. So much so, that the people in the village of Kubamitwe (where I now live) are concerned for their crops. 



Our house is coming along, though things happen here much slower than I am used to, partly because of the difficulty in transporting supplies. I spent my first few days clearing the jungle behind our house with Ben Basinger, Elisa Hurley, and Benje (one of my Ugandan brothers). We tore down a huge termite mound (about 6 feet tall), which was quite a chore. Apparently, You want to do this if they are close to your house because snakes will use them as homes and have hundreds of baby snakes that will then invade your territory. I know that Jen is relieved! Yesterday I drove into Mukono, a town about a 3 hour drive away, to pick up cabinets for our house. The builder is in the process of putting the finishing concrete on the floors. We've made a few changes, so there are still many things for them to do, but it looks like it should be close in a couple of weeks. Currently, I am being well taken care of by the Hurleys. 


 The church, Community Bible Church of Kubamitwe, is almost finished as well. We hope to officially move in October 28. Please continue to pray for the leadership of this church. It continues to grow and face challenges, but praise the Lord for what He is doing in this community. The Elders have agreed to make me an Elder in the coming weeks; pray that I would be found faithful to shepherd biblically (1 Peter 5).




 Legacy Christian Academy of Uganda is well underway! This is also a great need in the community. We hope to start in late January, which is when the school year begins in Uganda. Solomon, the headmaster of the school, is a great addition to SOS Ministries. We feel truly blessed to have him and his wife on our team. Pray that the building will get finished quickly and that we would have wisdom as we begin the process of teacher selection.



I miss my family a tremendous amount, but staying busy helps! Pray for my sweet wife as she makes last minute decisions and purchases and as she parents our children without me. I know that it is difficult, but God is giving her strength and the blessing of a church family at home. I can't thank you all enough for your prayers and support.


No comments:

Post a Comment